For some perplexing reason, January 16th is not a celebrated holiday around the world. Alas, we are expected to go to work and carry about our day like it isn’t the 27th birthday of the Greatest Ever Footballer Named Nicklas Bentnder.
To quote the majority of Arsenal fans when they used to see the Danish legend in their starting XI, this is utter madness.
So, in celebration of this blessed day, here are 27 reasons to love Lord Bendtner…
1. Arsenal psychologists once recorded “off the chart” levels of self confidence in Bendtner. It means he is incapable of believing anything he has done is wrong.
2. Despite being a professional footballer, he loves to get wicked drunk and rub himself on taxis.
4. He gets fined for wearing sponsored underwear.
5. This quote:
“I want to be top scorer in the Premier League, top scorer at the world cup and, within five years, I want to be among the best strikers in the world. Trust me, it will happen.”
6. His belief in that quote because of his ability to score after being on the field less than two seconds…
7. His belief in that quote because of this…
8. And this…
9. His brilliant fashion sense.
11. This harsh truth:
12. Getting arrested for breaking into his own swimming pool.
13. Getting arrested for fighting in hotels.
14. Getting arrested for smashing up cars with Lee Cattermole.
16. This quote from 2009:
“I should start every game, I should be playing every minute of every match and always be in the team.”
18. This quote:
“There is a price to pay as well for us players. Personally, I think I pay a big price with my body, my time and with never being able to have privacy when I am out and around other people.”
20. The fact that he changed his shirt number from 26 to 52 to reflect the fact that his new contract paid him £52,000. And then offered to refund fans who had bought his number 26 shirt.
21. When he crashed his car in September 2009 and nearly killed himself, the first thing he did was strip naked next to the wreckage and use the wing mirror to inspect his body.
22. His claim, in November 2013, that his next move would be to “Real Madrid or Barcelona.”
23.He blamed a dry spell at his current club Wolfsburg on his teammates. “You are always disappointed when you are in a good position, but just don’t get the ball,” he Bendtnered.
25. At 22-years-old, he had the confidence to ask 34-year-old Caroline Iuel-Brockdorff — a member of the Danish royal family — on a date. They now have a child.
26. This quote:
“It is wrong to compare my salary to the salary of businessmen. Compare it to movie actors instead.”
27. Someone has compiled a list of his top 20 goals. He’s only scored 44 club goals.
Happy birthday, Nicklas!